In CIVL 231, I cover the analysis of stress and strain, applications of plain stress, beam deflection, statically indeterminate beams and the analysis of columns. (CIVL_231_2014_Syllabys)
The objectives of the course are:
- to help students understand the mechanical behavior of solid materials;
- to develop the ability to analyse simple structural elements;
- to help students gain team-working and problem-solving skills.
Specifically, by the end of this course, students will be able to:
- To develop “common sense” feeling for stresses and strains in solid materials;
- Apply different methods to solve problems in solid mechanics;
- Analyse statically determinate and indeterminate beams and columns.